I think mashed potatoes is the ultimate cozy comfort food and needs to be on our Thanksgiving menu no matter what food plan you might follow.
Here is my RE/SHAPE recipe for mashed potatoes.
- Bring 20 redskin potatoes to a boil in salted water. You can peel or leave them on
- Steam two heads of cauliflower in salted water
- Once both are tender, drain water and mash
- Once the potatoes and cauliflower are mashed to your liking, pour the cauliflower into the potatoes and stir to combine
- Add 4 tbs of ghee and 2 tsp of Himalayan salt
- If you want to add a little extra, a 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese and chives add an extra layer of flavor
- If you’d like to beat and incorporate 4 eggs into the mixture, you can bake it and it will puff life a soufflé
- Add a drizzle of olive oil across the top with a sprinkle of chives just before serving
I chose red potatoes because they have less sugar and starch, the cauliflower is packed with nutrients and the ghee is a good fat that helps to balance the carbs in the potatoes. Himalayan salt regulates blood sugar and packs a powerful seasoning punch.
I don’t mind indulging a little more with this ultimate soul warming dish.